Navigation and service

Provisions on the import of pet animals from non-EU states


New European Union animal health requirements for pet animals (dogs, cats, and ferrets) have been in force since 1 October 2004. The rules are to prevent the introduction and spread of rabies.

So that no difficulties arise on entry, every pet animal brought into the European Union from a non-EU country must:

  • be marked with a tattoo or a microchip. Pet animals newly marked since 3 July 2011 are required to have a microchip,
  • have been properly vaccinated against rabies, and
  • be accompanied with an official veterinary certificate ("Tier aus Nicht-EU-Staat") stating the microchip number or the tattoo, and also with vaccination documents and, if appropriate, the results of the blood test.

If you are entering from a non-EU state where there is rabies or where the infection status is unknown, such as Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Thailand, or India:

  • a blood test (rabies antibody test) must have been conducted before entry
  • and a waiting period of three months must be observed from the date of the test.

Please remember that the documents of each pet animal (dog, cat, or ferret) entering from a non-EU state must always be inspected and its identity verified by the competent authorities.

You should also bear in mind that you should be accompanied by no more than five animals. If you are accompanied by more animals, the EU trade conditions apply.

If you enter accompanied by for which the conditions above have not been met, you must expect that at the first EU border the veterinary health officer will have the animals either

  • returned to their land of origin,
  • taken into quarantine for several months,
  • or, under certain circumstance, can order the killing of the animal,

at your expense in each case.

Where can I obtain more information?

Please ask the competent veterinary authority for information about the relevant animal health regulations in good time.

You can obtain more information about your intended or current clearance procedures from the Federal Ministry of Nutrition and Agriculture, from the competent German veterinary border inspection posts, from the animal health authorities responsible for your place of residence, or from your locally competent customs office.

Additional Information

More information

This Page: